Christmas is dawning and so is the New Year! Kind of daunting really... I remember about a year ago I was sitting in a my Auntie's apartment in China hit the streets or later when I was in my hotel room in Taiwan typing up my Christmas greetings. BUT I'll save all that to a later date because I needa share the things that have been keeping me going this year! This translates to my favourites movies, books and music... as hinted above.
// WARNING: THIS TO TOTES SUBJECTIVE //
+ this is quite a lengthy post
+ being a favourite doesn't necessarily mean it was released this year,
mainly that I was exposed to it this year.
+ this is quite a lengthy post
+ being a favourite doesn't necessarily mean it was released this year,
mainly that I was exposed to it this year.
1. About time
I'm hoping you've seen this because if you haven't, you're surely missing out on one of the greatest things life has to offer. At first it appears as a sweet romcom with silly, clumsy and lovable characters, but About Time is much more amazing. It's food-for-thought, and has changed my perspective in life. Life is about living the best we can in the minutes we are given - we need to focus on the now, on our families and loved ones, on taking opportunities and oozing out all that we can from them, on no regrets.
"We're all traveling through time together, every day of our lives. All we can do is do our best to relish this remarkable ride." - Tim
2. What If
I'm not going to lie. I loved this. I loved this for the awkward friendships, love, comedy and facial expressions. Not to mention, the totally weird plot. It's one of the more relatable stories of our age, until of course the end comes. But hey! If it turned out like real life no one would watch it. REGARDLESS, What If makes me feel warm and fuzzy - a definite feel good movie.
3. Interstellar
FOLLOWING THE CROWD HAS PROVEN ITSELF WORTHY. If you love a) amazing acting, b) mind-boggling plots, c) off-the-scale orchestral soundtracks, d) unbelievable graphics, e) thrilling cinematography... and the list goes on, this is the movie for you. Brought to you by the directors of Inception, you're bound to be sucked in. Despite being hard to wrap your head around, the movie is rewarding regardless of whatever confusion clouds your mind.
4. From Up On Poppy Hill
Another Studio Ghibli masterpiece (and sadly, one of the last). After Howl's Moving Castle, it seemed impossible to top off the animation (I mean, did you see the glistening of lights and ornaments in Howl's room?!?) but somehow they did it. Together with that, the plot is original, sweet and, in a sense, daring. And so is the super cute male protagonist.
5. Korean // My Love From Another Star
Usually I'd be classified as an anti-kdramaist as I find it extremely repetitive, cheesy and frustrating. BUT THIS DRAMA HAS PROVEN THIS CAN CHANGE. From the very first episode, way back when I watched it in April, I had fallen in love. Think: wacky romance laced with [witty] hilarity, a pinch of sweetness mixed with a really unexpected twist. No, not a love triangle. Something even more frustrating! And great enough to make me watch the whole series in a week and a bit.
BOOKS:
1. The Da Vinci Code
Recommended by a friend and now I'm recommending it to you. Full of codes, symbols, secret messages, impossible missions. Sounds kinda lame but it's actually pretty "messed-uply" amazing. It's a puzzle and once you see the full picture, you will be speechless.
2. Gone Girl
Yep, I jumped onto the bandwagon, but don't judge: IT'S TOTALLY WORTH IT. Mysterious, intriguing, unexpected twists and loose ends that tie up nicely in the end.
3. Atonement
After studying a bit of it in Lit class, I totally appreciate it a lot more. The book has literally become a container of profound meaning about morality, love, class and history. This, of course, could not be separated from the artistic and particular style of writing.
4. Decide
A motivational non-fiction. It cuts the crap of success stories which make people bad and delves into the psychology behind getting things done and doing what's actually worth our time. So far, it has proven effective: I'm actually wanting to do stuff I love, rather than worrying/pondering over the woes of "holiday homework" (i.e. I hate Lit)
5. To Kill a Mockingbird
I scored a 97% in my Lit essay with this novel. Obviously, a true winner (the book of course). It's on basically all "must reads" on the net, and I can surely understand why. This childrens' book has seriously opened my eyes to the world. Imagine this: becoming more aware of racism, and the psychology behind, in society (regardless of past or present). Pretty neat stuff, huh?
MUSIC:
To be fair, I've kinda lost touch with my previous music flare. I am no longer the trendy girl I use to be... forgive me? Despite my downfall, I want to make it up to you with a playlist of songs I work out to and/or float around on my soundcloud. Yeah... I'm working on getting back to listening to some more tunes. Anyone willing to help?
Until Next Time,
Joyce!
P.S. If you get a tinge of frustration coming through, it's because I typed up the whole thing and then my browser died and so did blogger and somehow this post didn't save (ALTHOUGH IT SAID IT DID!) so I retyped the whole thing from MEMORY. And my memory SUCKS.


What a great post! Thank you for great selections! Liuba x
ReplyDeleteThank you so very much, Liuba!
DeleteHope get to know some of the above and have a great holiday season :-)
Ah the first two films! About Time has taught me a great deal, so I can wholeheartedly agree. I adored the value they placed upon the importance of family. The end had me in tears.
ReplyDeleteTELL ME ABOUT IT! It's been such a long time since these kind of warm and fuzzy feels has really come from the film industry (at least, for me). Ugh, it was just a breakthrough moment for me too hahhaha x
Delete